Robert C. Bischoff, MFA
Senior Creative & Design Executive
Energetic and award-winning creative professional with a high-performance 20 year career history, 15 of them at executive level commercial design management. Innovator in launching strategies, programs, systems, products and processes to boost sales performance, capture new revenue opportunities, and expand into new channels. Elevates profitable revenue growth through skillful execution of innovative market positioning, product development, account management, and process initiatives. Excellent communicator and an effective leader possessing expertise in building relationships with senior executives, investors, employees, and customers. Disciplined and decisive work ethic combined with aptitude in assessing corporate needs as well as delivering cost-effective solutions that exceed expectations of internal and external stakeholders.
Project Management • Branding • Team Leadership • Change Management • Strategic Business Plans • Product Marketing • Product Launches • Specialist Packaging Design • Client Relationships • Multi-Million Dollar Accounts • Process Reengineering • Restructuring • Startup Ops • Web Design • Ideation
Lawson Products Inc., Des Plaines, IL
A national public corporation of industrial maintenance products; [abrasives, fastening systems, chemicals, cutting tools, electrical items, hydraulics and shop supplies.
Director of Creative Services 2007–2009
Pioneered reinvention of visual brand standards for multiple corporate customers, including Lawson Products, Drummond American Chemicals, and Cronatron Welding Supplies. Controlled more than $1M in monthly purchases in management of inventory supply and printing services, which contributed to 4,500 print and merchandising items. Led a select team of diverse designers, database publishers, photographers, and videographers throughout the creative process to produce a variety of marketing communication materials for 80K Lawson branded MRO products. Directed interdepartmental teams in development and implementation of an advantageous product labeling visual database, a multi-functional asset management system, and an innovative digital workflow system that accelerated company productivity.
- Reduced overhead by $1M through Photography and Video outsourcing and active departmental reorganization.
- Decreased printing costs $500K by spearheading the consolidation and redesign of 5 separate catalogs into one fully integrated presentation and selling tool, increasing customer confidence, ease of use, and enhanced comprehension of product range.
- Improved internal company cohesiveness to the benefit of employees and customers through the standardization of all corporate communication touch-points and launching modular marcom B2B communication tools for agents.
- Recipient of 2010 InHouse Design Award for packaging and in-store display, Javelin Plumbing Chemicals.
Core Branding Works Inc., Glencoe, IL
A highly acclaimed Packaging and Marketing Communication design service supplier.
Owner/Consultant 2005–2007 & 2009–2011
Orchestrated the company’s specialization in integrated packaging design and collateral services, building a reputation for its branding consultancy through successful service to national brand and private label clientele. Enhanced and economized overall packaging production by incorporating unique solutions into the initial design phases. Focused brand-packaging systems on the immediate communication of brand equity and awareness, which fueled company product sales.
- Recognized as a Gold Medalist in the 2008 and 2009 MarCom Awards for Website Design.
- Key contributor to articles published in Private Label Magazine, Brand Packaging, and Progressive Grocer.
- Clients include: American Massage Therapy, Artisan, Hormel Foods, Ingenium Aerospace & Testing, and Trustmark.
Federated Design Inc., (Sailpointe Creative) Arlington Heights, IL
An award-winning subsidiary of Federated Group Inc., specializing in innovative package design strategies for the private label industry.
Corporate Vice President of Design 1995–2005
Founded the subsidiary group, launching a design division of 25 staff yielding an average 35% annual ROI to shareholders. Supported the creation of consumer product packaging and managed all divisional interactions, including marketing, public relations, and client communications. Incorporated digital workflow and asset management systems in order to regulate the production and administration of more than 300 files of finalized art each month. Prepared and delivered presentations before industry professionals affiliated with the Private Label Management Association and the Flexographic Technical Association.
- Increased client unit sales as much as 97% by creating as well as redesigning more than 23,000 product packages with consumer-oriented focus improvements.
- Key contributor to articles published in Private Label Magazine, Food Distributor International, Supermarket News, Exclusive Brands, IGA Grocergram, Focus Magazine, Brand Packaging, and more.
- Clients include: Albertson’s, ALDI Brands, Cub Foods, Dierbergs, FAME, Food Lion, Grandma Maud’s, Hy•Top, IGA, McCain Citrus, Our Family, Parade, Price Chopper, Roundy’s, Shop n’ Save, Shurfine, Supervalu, and Winn Dixie.
Bischoff Communications, Winnetka, IL
Niche Design Consultancy, specializing in packaging design management for the national consumer product goods industry.
Design Management Consultant 1994–1996
Toured all Kraft Foods North American facilities, speaking on the company’s behalf in regard to effective package design processes. Designed and implemented valuable training programs, which improved the impact of strategic business teams in package design evaluation. Contributed to the graphics for Kraft's global Packaging Innovation Exhibit. Directed all aspects of the national brand package, POP, and POS design for Keebler’s Cookies & Crackers, Warehouse Club, Diversified Business and Foodservice Divisions.
- Prepared the corporate environment for future automated project management programs through in-depth analysis and review of the design process and providing beneficial recommendations.
- Clients include: Kraft Foods, Inc. and The Keebler Company.
Manager (Packaging & Design Center), The Quaker Oats Company
- Brands include: Aunt Jemima, Celeste Pizza, Van Camp's, Wolf Brand
Director of Creative Services, ERO Industries Inc.
- Clients include: DC Comics, MCA Universal, Tri-star Pictures, Walt Disney
Owner, Bischoff Design
- Clients include: Honeywell, NFL Properties (Superbowl XXVII), Westcor Partners
- "Top Ten Graphic Design Firms in Arizona" – Advertising & Marketing Magazine
Staff Designer, Source Inc.
- Clients include: Gould Electronics, Jim Beam Brands, Neenah Paper, Quaker Oats, Sandoz
- Award of Excellence Finalist – Package Design Council International Gold Awards
- CLIO Awards Finalist – International Package Design & Silver Medalist
- Gilbert Paper Golden Quill Awards for Corporate Visual Identity
Senior Staff Designer, Smithsonian Institution – National Zoological Park
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Master of Fine Art, Graphic Design, Yale University, New Haven, CT
Bachelor of Fine Art, Graphic Design & Liberal Arts, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Professional Associations: DMI, AIGA, FTA, Private Label Manufacturers Association (PLMA), In-Store Marketing Institute, IU Alumni Association, Yale Alumni Association